Saturday, 3 May 2014

Happy Accidents

Any potter will tell you that opening a kiln is an exciting but scary moment.  I almost hold my breath every time I crack open the door, and then exhale with relief when I catch a glimpse of the contents and it's all ok!!  A couple of months ago, I opened the kiln to find a whole batch of pots ruined as a result of using the wrong glaze.  This was not a happy accident by any means!  However, every now and then something unexpected happens in the kiln and you are pleasantly surprised with the results. I recently bought some white earthenware clay, but accidentally fired it a little high and it came out a creamy yellow colour (kind of like aged paper).  I was always planning to decorate it with a vintage illustration and I think I like it way more than if it had been white!



No comments:

Post a Comment